Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Geekdom

Ok - so I realize before posting this, that by doing so, I am revealing to the world that I can, at times, be a TOTAL geek/nerd whatever you wanna call it. So here's the deal. In school, I would literally get happy/excited/feel like I had really accomplished something if there was a really difficult math problem which I was finally able to solve after many failed attempts. I LOVED that feeling. Total Geek I know!!!

Ok so where am I going with this? Here is where. I work in Finance as an analyst and one of the things I heavily rely on at work are these reports in a tool the company built. However, for the past 6 months we really didn't feel like we could rely on the reports at first glance. There were constant errors, glitches, etc... One report in particular is very important in my specific duties and I really had to go to like 3 places just to validate the data, and I was never really sure if my figures were 100% right. Well today, I created a reconciliation between 3 different reports and I was able to tie everything together pretty much to the penny. I felt so proud of myself (i even found a glitch in another report created by someone else) and remembered the feeling I use to get in school when solving a difficult math problem. I created a pretty, color coded, reconciliation that I can send out to other members of the organization which they can use to gain comfort that the numbers are in fact correct and we don't waste hours upon hours trying to validate them in the future...

Ok I know this is probably something that is of little interest to anyone but me, but I just feel so good right now, I had to share... Oh and I LOVE my family, my sister rocks, love you kiddo!!! Just in a "sharing what's on my mind" kind of mood at the moment.. Hahaha, I am fairly certain my husband is dying of embarrassment on my behalf while he reads this post... its ok honey, i don't care if people know what a real geek i am...I am cool with it, so doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks... Love you all!!

5 comments:

The Pomez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pomez said...

IF every person who got excited by math was a geek then 99% of all the bahais would be geeks, now that IS the case BUT in your defense as I SEE it in NOT being a geek you do still:

1) enjoy playing sports
2) enjoy watching TV
3) you work out with me
4) we both played with action figures growing up or trucks and NON barbie girlie crap, played basketball with the guys and so on
5) we both love pets dogs and so on
6) you are successful in your career and stuff BECAUSE you use numbers well, now i wont get into your HORRIBLE record of simple counting and precent knowledge but when it counts you know how to PIMP IT OUT!!
7) we both enjoy pools, tropical weather and CARS and so forth,

basically my point is you are NOT a geek even if you for some weird reason want to be, HOWEVER to my main point in all this

winter in sweden?? WHAT WINTER???? so far since NOVEMBER til NOW which means FEBRUARY it has snowed TWICE thats right TWICE and the snow stayed for a few hours ONLY since then 40-50 F and SUPER GREEN AND AWESOME, TAKE THAT!!!!! the US has so far had fourteen blizzard storms and minus -23535 degrees as far down as Georgia!!

JUSTICE FINALLY PREVAILS!!!

ROCK AND ROOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!!!!!

sincerely

your friend

AMANDA

Emily said...

Geeks rock!

Anonymous said...

aukh joon thanks for the shout out! and likewise. more to the point, though, i am SO proud of you! maybe you should patent your solution and try to market. its doubtful your company is the only one experiencing this "glitch", dont you think?

tmonajjem said...

Unless you work in a Carnival, biting off chicken heads, or are obsessed with computers, and celebrate "Día del orgullo friki", I doubt you're a geek. Much to the contrary, you are quite fashionable, socially apt person. Far from having any eccentric devotions your are simply smart, and that only adds to your charm.


geek |gēk|
noun informal
1 an unfashionable or socially inept person.
• [with adj. ] a person with an eccentric devotion to a particular interest : a computer geek.
2 a carnival performer who does wild or disgusting acts.