Thursday, January 24, 2008

Hello out there

Well - I guess it was bound to happen. I have joined the millions of people out there and created a blog. Why? Not really sure. To be honest, I don't even know if I will update this thing or not. But right now I am sitting at work, a bit bored, so I figured, why not??? If anything, its a way for my friends and family to see what I'm up to in this land oh so far from those I love, well close to some but far from most...

Unlike some of the members of my family, I am not known for my writing skills or even for being very descriptive. I remember growing up when I would miss a tv show or something of the sort, if I asked my dad or sister about it, well they gave me every detail down to what someone was wearing (ok i'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the point). I, on the other hand, was not so prolific with words. I felt bad for them. If they missed a show and asked me about it, I summed it up in about 3 or 4 sentences (again probably stretching the truth a bit, but you get the point). So that is my warning, this may be quite boring. But its a good way for me to release my thoughts and moreso to keep busy on days like today where there just isn't a whole lot going on at work.

So this post will be long since I have never done this before. Just a background, I moved to Europe about 14 months ago from the US and it has been both great and not so great. Pros: I get to be with my hubby 24/7 (if you don't know me that well, we lived apart for the first 5 years of our courtship/marriage), it's a beautiful country, I get by on english well, my way of life/pace is much less stressful, my job is more flexible, 6 weeks of vacation a year, at the moment closer to my sister timezone and distance wise, and I can travel around Europe easily. Cons: I am WAY TOO far away from my parents and the home I grew up in, I felt a lot more involved and useful in Bahai activities/community back in Atlanta (but part of the problem now is that i haven't learned the language, so i need to take care of that ), I really, really love the United States and miss living there, I am far from my family and friends back in the states, I miss food/mall/ basic material selection(much greater in the US), I miss American TV(though tv here is mostly coming from there anyway), and most of all I miss US PRICES!!! It's so dang expensive here compared to there, but that's life, you win some you lose some...

At the end of the day, my life is really quite blessed, here or in the US, doesn't really matter. God has given me a lot more than my fair share and I am not blind to that fact. I am very grateful for all I have been blessed with, most especially my family(i couldn't ask for a better one) so that is what I try to think about when I do get homesick.

Anyway, this has gotten a bit long-winded(don't say I didn't warn you), but all is well with me today in this land far, far away. I am happy, healthy, and sending love to all of you dear to me out there somewhere in this big old world. XOXO.

5 comments:

The Pomez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pomez said...

oh yes i forgot as you YOURSELF pointed out too 6 WEEK worth of vacation when people in the US that have worked for 40 years still only get like 22 days, and everyone here understands english you say so thats awesome, i bet americans dont understand any other languages than english and that BARELY EVEN!! your sister is closer you saw her and talk to her as you seem to do everyday something you didnt do when you were in the states where it was maybe once every other year, i hear you even went and visited her, well done anyway seems like your life is paradise

your friend

sincerely

Matthew from Paris

The Pomez said...

Well as for being active one has to for example email the countrys NSA and ASK how one can be useful, specially when one has alot of talents as I have heard you do, as for the selection and the prices i have noticed that europe has most of the us stuff AND more stuff that us doesnt have and its healthier and better for a person, the weather here is AWESOME since this winter for example it has snowed maybe ONCE and that lasted for 3 hours then it went away then its just been green the rest of the time NOT something you can say for 80% of the US which has snow storms, tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes and all that every day, also the us is not that far away when you think about it, new york for example from europe is just a seven hour flight away, compare that to about five and half six hours just from new york to LA, TV here is better since one gets best of everything, all the us shows and everything else. Also i heard you drive a SUPER BIG MACHISMO CAR and have a mansion in the sky and a dog you adore,, further more it seems you are getting tons of excerise, you work MUCH LESS than you did in the states, you are healthier, stronger, faster, hmmm so far sounds like europe is winning by a MASSIVE SCALE!! anyway im glad i could put it all into perspective and make you see the error of your ways,

Sincerely

your friend

Greg from Zurich

Emily said...

I'm glad you have a blog. Don't excuse yourself, just share! love, love, love

borna said...

welcome here z, lovely to be able to "hear" from you more often. keep up the good work, and I really hope you'll be able to strengthen and revitalize the community in sweden together with the rest of the youth :)