Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Lost at sea??

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I JUST finished watching a show on discovery called "Ultimate Survival" about a guy who basically throws himself in the ocean about 2 miles from a deserted island in the Pacific. He swims to the island and proceeds to show the audience what you do in this situation. he lives through it. He ends up building a raft out of bamboo trees and palm tree leaves etc. He goes about explaining basic survival tactics etc. At one point, when he is in the middle of the ocean, his raft is being circled by tiger sharks(these are very aggresive sharks). He talks about people who have been lost at sea for 100 days and all they had was their raft and a few safety pins, and SOMEHOW they survived.

When I watch things like this show, I just feel in total awe of people with such survival skills. I mean, honestly, I think if you find yourself in that situation, some kind of subconcious natural instict kicks in which you have had all along ,but never known you did. But honest to God, at this point in time, i could NEVER imagine myself capable of surviving a situation like that. HOW do they do it???How do people know how to live off raw fish and salt water for 100 days at sea???HOW???First, I hope i never find myself in such a situation, but IF i ever did, I sincerely hope those insticts kick in and I don't perish at sea...or worse at the mouth of a shark... yikes!!! see what happens when you grow up on the beach but have watched "Jaws" like 500million times....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

remember the time we were at citibank standing in line and Jaws was playing and we both got really engrossed in it while we waited with mommy, and then all of a sudden it was the attack scene, and we both SCREAMED at the top of our lungs so that everyone in the bank started laughing? haha oh man i remember that so clearly. sweet childhood memories.

The Pomez said...

I once was lost but now im found, I now found the DOUBLE WHOPPER CHILI BACON CHEESE FRY COMBO CHICKEN DELUXE FATTY BURGER!!!

Oh and remember the time at chilis where I once had like 8 glasses of coke and you were all like NO WAY DUDE!!! and I was like WAAYY DUDEE!!!!

sincerely

your friend

Aishunauh Taranatullah

Zhena said...

oh man i love it when you remind me of great stories nava!!!hahah remember when we would go to the beach and something would touch me, probably seaweed, and i would flip out and run out of the water and get everyone else with me freaked out too... hahaha...too much fun!!!i'm still paranoid about sharks btw- don't think that will ever change!!!

Anonymous said...

When i think of you and the ocean I mostly remember the times you use me as a shield against giant jelly fish...

hmm, wonder why thats the memory that stands out...haha

to your credit though you did swim me out of the tide that one time at gilligan's island when i was getting feasted on by jelly fish, and jumped back in for me when i froze in the sea of jfish after your wedding...

Zhena said...

hahahahaha - dude i will NEVER forget that!!! it is one of my fondest memories, not because of what i did, i'm not that mean, just becaues I can't believe i did that. hahahaha i laugh every time i think back on it... but as you said, i like to think i made up for it on prior and later occassions..hehehe.. love u!!!