Sunday, July 18, 2010

Irony

I am visiting my parents right now and came for a 3 week stay. I arrived about 10 days ago and something kind of crazy happened to me yesterday. I went to the hairsalon to have my hair done with the lady I see whenever I visit. I was all happy, as most women are when they leave the salon. It had been raining earlier but was no longer doing so. I was about 10 feet away from my car, walking towards it, as I slipped and fell, then the screaming began. I was the one screaming, I believe for help, though I can't be sure. What I am sure of is that I was in the most agonizing pain I have experienced in my life so far. I saw my left knee ball pop out, instinctively (cause i really wasn't thinking) i popped it back into place. At this point, people heard my screams and one gentleman (God Bless him) rushed over and lifted me up off the floor and let me use him to support myself. I was trying to calm down but I was in a lot of pain. As the pain subsided slightly since the knee wasn't dislocated anymore, I managed to ask him to walk me to my car where I said I would sit and call for help. Since i am visiting, I didn't want to use an ambulance because I know it can be very expensive without insurance and didn't want to deal with the hassle of it all...Anyway, I called home, my mom called a friend who happens to work in the emergency room, and she (her 3 young 8-12 year old, children, husband and my parents) came to get me and took me to the emergency room. Thank GOD for her. I was admitted immediately and we were in and out of there in a little over an hour. Normally one spends about 8 hours in the emergency room -it's a painful process, but this was the best that it could have been under the circumstances.

Anyway, now I can't do anything by myself. I use crutches to get around and my parents accompany me everywhere even to the restroom as I have nearly taken a few tumbles even with the crutches so they are around to catch me if i do fall...It's unfortunate this happened, but at least they are around and taking very good care of me. I am hoping this will heal enough for me to travel without pain when I am scheduled to return home in 10 days...we'll see..

The irony of this whole situation is that the last time I came home for a visit, my Uncle passed away 2 days after my arrival,so I ended up flying to Canada for his funeral and spent about a week total at home and clearly wasn't able to do much. Now this trip, a week into it, this happens and again I am unable to do much. I wonder if its a sign that I am just not meant to go to the beach and just relax...don't know.. Actually, truthfully,this situation could have been a thousand times worse and last year I am glad I was close enough to Canada to be with my family during such a difficult time and be able to attend the funeral, so I am not complaining about either situation, merely pointing out the irony of it all..

Anyway...this was my little Caribbean adventure...let's hope I go back with a knee that works..for now I am staying off of it and actually today I am preparing a talk on life after death which I will give tonight at my parent's dinner fireside...knee in a splint and all...Hope it goes well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow Zhena, sounds even more painful than giving birth!!

I hope you recover quickly, although it is always nice to get some extra care :)

hugs
Lili

Zhena said...

Thanks Lili joon! We'll see how it goes, I will need physical therapy once I get back to Sweden.

Funny thing is after the accident, I thought to myself, "you want to have a baby after this" cause everyone says giving birth is the worst pain ever and i couldn't imagine any worse pain than what I experienced, though i am sure there are worse things...but I'm glad mine was relatively quick and has been very bearable so far...