P recently made a trip back to the states, a very brief one, and brought me back some things I had asked for. One of the items he purchased was a shower gel from Victoria's secret. The gel is called "pear glaze". The first time I used it, as soon as I opened the bottle and squeezed out some of the gel, when I got my first whiff of the smell, I really went back to a very happy place in my memories...When I was in my teens, for one of my birthdays, a friend gave me a set of lotions and in it was a pear shower gel which smelled just like the one P got me recently. It's so amazing to me how a smell can bring back so many memories. I remembered living at home in PR, with my parents and just took me back to a very wonderful time...
I remember as a child, when my dad would go on business trips, I would go and smell his clothes because they reminded me of him. I did the same thing, many years later, when P and I lived apart during the first two years of our marriage. I would smell his clothes and it would remind me of him...I just am amazed by the power of smell and what a wonderful sense it really is. Granted, one could associate certain smells with not so nice memories, but in my case, its mostly with very good memories. The best part is, it doesn't get old. Meaning anytime I use the shower gel, my thoughts drift back to memories of living at home and being a carefree teenager.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
wow that truly is disturbing...but smell is the strongest sense tied to memory.
Smell is powerful for sure. Remind me to tell you about something that we did a few years ago...
Your post reminded me of the first time I whiffed the smell of Bounce in the air the first year I was here. I was so homesick, and the smell took me home. Hope all is well?
Yeah it truly is amazing the memories a single smell can conjure up. But I think,in a way, its a wonderful gift. Sometimes you are brought back memories you would have never thought of otherwise, but they are quite wonderful.
All is well, a bit stressed out over some stuff, so its nice to remember a time in my life when i didn't have any worries or real responsibilities...a nice escape for 5 minutes, you know?
Absolutely!
Post a Comment